Chapter 32: Love Prevails (A Weakness Called Love : Memoirs Of An African Housemaid)

My father had been disturbed about the conversation I had with my mother. Finally, my mother called me and told me the most beautiful words I have ever heard in my entire life
"Ladi, listen to me carefully" she started
"Your father had reconsidered his position, He is willing to let you marry Mudi"

I jumped in utter joy, tears of happiness flowed freely.
"But, listen. You will marry Mudi on one condition."

Whatever the condition was, I was willing to fulfill it. No matter how hard it may be. I can do it. There is no condition that can scare me, or make me change my mind.

"Yes, Iya!, What is it" I said eagerly cutting her off before she finished the sentence.

"Hmmm, girls of nowadays are not shy at all" she said jokingly, smiling.

"Well, you have to raise the money for the wedding, God knows selling food won't work, we've tried it, and we failed. You have to go to town, and for once in your life stay and get paid. Otherwise you can say bye bye to Mudi, forever"

The task is great. But I will do it. I will endure by the Grace of God. God will see me through. Marriage is a very important religious devotion. I had grown up learning the importance of marriage. It is said that whoever marry will enter heaven easily. It is even said that once a person gets married all his sins are forgiven. The heaven of a married woman is beneath her husband's feet, a submissive wife therefore will be granted heaven. once a woman is married she has fulfills half of her religious obligation. A dutiful wife no doubt is an adornment, a prized artifact that is celebrated and praised. To be a dutiful, submissive and subservient wife is the highest honor a woman can achieve.

The truth is, I yearn to be a married woman for as long as I can remember. The desire has been there throughout my existence. I had dreamed of it my whole life. It has always been my future ambition. A husband is the greatest adornment any woman can possess. He signals her success in life. An unmarried woman is a failure.

As fate will have it, circumstances have delayed that honor. I hadn't had a boyfriend before Mudi. Mudi gives me hope in attaining this highest rank. For he is my golden ticket to heaven in the afterlife and my gate pass to respect in this world. He is my path to progeny. The key to living my print in this world. I thanks God everyday for bestowing such favor and blessing upon me. The favor and blessing being my Mudi. What better blessing can I ever ask God for. I can finally reap the fruits of my labor.

My parents had finally decided to give way to the inevitable. Perhaps it is because it is said, when people stand in the way of marriage, God ordains death on them, they die and the marriage takes place. Maybe that was what made my parents see the light. Whatever the reason behind their acceptance, I don't care. I only care about the consequences of the decision, my sweet and long awaited marriage. Finally, it is becoming real.

I was beside myself with excitement. I will soon leave the status of a very elderly unmarried woman. I am already 16, God! Being unmarried at such a mature age had been difficult. I had to share such great news with Shatu. This calls for celebration. Mudi needs to know about this great development. Finally, I shall be known as Mudi's wife.

I was off to Shatu's. The weather was cool, the trees danced, the wind blew soft breeze upon my face, the birds sang melodiously. Even nature was sharing my joy. Today, the chirping of the birds did not offend me. How would it? After all they were all sharing in my joy. Nature had cast a good omen. My marriage to Mudi shall be blessed.

I shared my news with Shatu. Shatu was very pleased and happy for me. She informed her mother immediately. For such greats news had to be shared. Her mother was overjoyed.

"Finally, honor will come to your mother. I pray That God bestows that honor on me also. I pray your GoodLuck rubs on Shatu. " she said raising her hands in prayer.

"God, The Possessor of the Heavens and The Earth, preserve my life so that I shall live to witness my Shatu's marriage." She concluded, she spat dryly to her palms and rubs same to her face. This signifies the end of every prayer. It is the ritual of every proper prayer.

"We must inform Mudi immediately." Shatu Said.
"I will let him know in style, let's go now" I replied
"Okay" She said raising to her feet immediately.

We went to Mudi's house and as usual I waited for Shatu to call him.

He was out, walking to our spot. I stood there waiting for him all the while I couldn't keep my teeth to myself. They were wide open, welcoming my Mudi.
When He reaches our spot, He said
"My Ladi is in a great mood."

To which I reply this:
"If you love me
The skies would always be blue
Even when hurricane sets in
My eyes would long for you."

I started while I locked gaze with him. Not wanting to even blink.

"The fantasies I've had of you in my head
Are like an ending of time
Limitless, unfathomable. I am not shy to say I love you" When I reached this place I stopped.
He was watching me intently.

"Soon we shall be mould into one, you and I. Sweats mixed in vigor, My dreams will come, reality will sue. You and In perpetuity. Forever and always. Twin souls entangled till eternity. Honored through the ordained decree. The wind will bend to our will. It has been written in the book of decrees. You and I in marriage. "

I intertwined my two index fingers together signaling in faux expression of luck as a metaphor of marriage.

Then I raised my head and looked into his eyes. When our eyes met, I turned away, my back facing him.
"Turn and face me my future wife" Mudi said in a stern voice.
Shyness enveloped me, like a warm blanket In a cold harmattan night. I had to obey my love's command, I turned and face him.
"Does that mean your parents have agreed?" He asked in disbelief and happiness.

I nodded.

"My future wife, our love has prevailed. My Ladi, My Love, My Girl, My sweet honey, The future mother of my children. All Praise be to God Who led me to you, Who in his infinite mercy made our dreams come true."

He said with a grin.

When we finished talking, Mudi promised to visit me at my house that night, immediately after the night prayer. I promise to wait for him outside at the exact time.

I was restless, I was happy. I await my Love eagerly. I told Shatu. She stayed and my house and we both waited for him.

It was night and the sky was filled with glittering stars and shinning moon witnessing our infectious joy, I was to be married and on top of that to non other than Mudi.

I stood by the door of our house, striking a pose which I change every minute as I waited for my Mudi.
It wasn't over five minutes before a manly structure approached me the moon shining against his oily dark skin
He walked with a swagger that made my heart gallop at the sight of him, I covered my eyes with my veil as it was the only thing that made it possible for me to tear my eyes away from the approaching hunk.

My heart fought against my rip cage in a war to escape its confines to the hands of the man who owns it. A giggle escaped me as delight paralyzed my whole existence,when I came to the staggering knowledge that this chunk of masculinity belonged to me now or will soon be.
"Hello my love" I spoke softly to him peeking up throw my lashes to see him.
I giggled as his gaze caught mine.

He folded his hands on his chest leaning on one leg before he regarded me with a smile.
"Hello beautiful" he said to which I had to place my hand on my lips to stop from shouting in rejoice.

"Today has been a remarkable day for me Ladi"
he stated  turning to look at me
"You know why?" He asked in a low voice

"Why?" I asked goading him on to tell me what our love had achieved, how we've fought tooth and nail to get to this place.

"Because you are to be my bride and it makes my chest ache of overwhelming happiness, you are my treasure Ladi" he declared

I closed my eyes keeping the tears of joy at bay, I couldn't cry not when the moment is as perfect at this, not when he told me I, Ladi is his treasure.

"Oh Mudi, I swear by the God that breathed life into me, no one knows the lengths of my love for you and our mortal tongues cannot put in words how much I love you"I replied back looking at him.

He nodded his lips stretching into a mighty grin.

"Only you my love can make me feel loved, treasured and cherished as a king. I have heard about love, I have seen love, I had been in love, but never have I experienced love as pure as yours, love as selfless as yours. You gave love meaning to me." he exclaimed to which I demurely smiled.

He looked up at the sky sighing lightly.
"I have to go Ladi my love, it's late and Hafsat and the children are waiting for me" he said almost sadly

I nodded unable to speak over the limo in my throat as jealousy burned through my blood streams.

"Okay my love" I said gently.

even if I was jealous I could never be angry at Mudi it just isn't possible.

"Goodnight beautiful" he said as he turned away.

I only caught a black shadow as A nylon hit my leg with speed of Mudi's muscled arm momentum.

I grinned until it was impossible for my skin to stretch more as I cursed myself for my moment of jealousy.

This gift from Mudi is a sign that I am the only one for him.

It's common for irrevocable couples, that the guy buy gift for his girl and throws it at her at the end of their romantic night conversation.

The throwing shows humility, shyness and strength and as such a high regarded action in our community.

I squatted opening the nylon and at the delicious sight that greeted me I laughed.  A loud and excited squeal peeling out of my lips before I could stop it.

It was a full chicken roasted in our traditional way wrapped in a brown paper.  the aroma assaulted my nostrils as my saliva rushed forth yearning for the delicacy.

Hold on tongue, I muted underneath my breath. Let's get Shatu first. We went through all of this together, it is only fair I share the fruits with her.

I closed the nylon and hugged it on my bosom, ignoring the heat that almost burns me. I closed my eyes in ecstatic happiness. In all my mortal years I have never feel more loved than in this precious moment. I breath in and I smiled.

"Time to get Shatu" I said to myself.

AUTHORS NOTE:
Hello! Everyone. Thank you all for reading. The feedbacks are encouraging.
Do you think Ladi's parents are being true in their declaration or is a trap that will lead to an eventual betrayal?
Do you think her parents are sincere or they are just tricking her?
Is it too good to be true? Or her hope and belief in love will are be rewarded?

Stay tuned and keep reading to find out.
I will be looking forward to all your comments. Don't forget to vote dear.
Happy reading and love you all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER ONE

Chapter 42: The Dilemma (A Weakness Called Love :Memoirs Of An African Housemaid )

A WEAKNESS CALLED LOVE: MEMOIRS OF AN AFRICAN HOUSEMAID