Chapter 40 : It's Hapenning (A Weakness Called Love :Memoirs Of An African Housemaid )

Musa kept stalling Shatu, lie after lie he avoided her until he finally declared he wasn’t ready for marriage. Shatu is not a girl who will take rejection quietly. She had waited for Musa to do the right thing, to do good by her but it has ended this way. He had wasted her time and crushed her hope. While I was still in town, she met him in the Village night games and gave him a piece of her mind, not minding who was there. A piece of her mind wasn’t exactly pleasant, it was hurtful insulting shattering words that can put a sailor to shame.
Nonetheless Musa’s rejection had broken her heart. It wasn’t exactly easy for her though she tries to hide it. I knew Shatu front and back, inside and out like the back of hand, so I noticed it.
Musa’s betrayal was not Shatu’s greatest challenge. Her reputation had been tainted, thanks to me. She is now known all over the village as a betrayer who will spare no one. For how would she? when she betrays her own flesh and blood, her sister, she was not to be trusted. Nobody wanted to tie the knot with her. In the marital sphere, Families avoided her like the plague. Some even think the wrath of God will descend upon her, better not be near her when it descends.

Shatu ignored them, not once did she blame me for her misfortune.
I felt for Shatu for I knew what it felt like to have a bleak future. I will be going insane if it was me. Having zero proposal, living with very slim hope, it’s excruciating. If not Musa we have to get her a man, we must find a way to raise money for our marriages. Shatu had always been there for me, it is time for me to be there for her.

Whenever Musa sees us together he always give us a stank eye. Shatu’s words had done well in putting Musa in his place, it has left him resenting her and our friendship. Times without number he had tried to end our friendship but I had turn a deaf ear to his warnings for every Ladi needs a Shatu. That is striking a balance.

We were tight as we could ever be. We waited for my knight in shinning armour to do the needful. He said he can handle his parents. I trust him completely for what is love without trust?!

While I await for Mudi’s proposal, I came up with a way to help her. Mayyam had scribbled her number and Hajiya’s number on a piece of paper. She had taught me how to use the phone. How to follow the likeness of the inscriptions on the phone and the ones written down to call. I had called them once and told them I had arrived safely. I decided to call again. Desperate times call for disparate measure.

“Peace be upon you” I heard Hajiya’s benevolent voice on the other side of the line.
“and upon you too” I answered

After exchanging greetings. I asked Hajiya whether she needs a new house girl, I told her I had the perfect applicant. I begged her to employ Shatu. But she said she doesn’t like employing two girls who know each other because they tend to gang up against her and make her the enemy. They work less and like to gossip a lot. I promised it would never be like that and pressed on until she said she will think about it.

I called her several times after, snd pestered her until she finally give in. She said she will try the new girl for a month and see. Shatu and I were beside ourselves with excitement, finally our big break is here. For the first time in out lives we looked forward to going to the city again.

Mudi, was quiet for a while about the proposal I asked for. Whenever I asked he always say he is working on it.
But I heard from the village gossip that his father is adamant to Mudi’s request. Mudi moved to his eldest uncle and begged him to intervene. Luckily for us, his Uncle believe that if two people are in love marriage is most befitting otherwise, corruption will spread. By corruption he means fornication and its vices. He promised to talk to Mudi’s father.
While we await for For Mudi’s uncle to talk to his father. My mother decided to visit the blessed woman Baaba Kubura, perchance she may be willing to share her blessed rosary.

Hajiya Kubura was a woman of piety and great devotion. She praises God and seek for Forgiveness consistently, she believes that we are always sinning without realising it and therefore we need to be atoned . She constantly move around with her rosary.

Hajiya Kubura is a woman of almost seventy years. Her miracle began when One day she lost her rosary, she was so distraught over the loss, that she sat down under a tree and kept weeping, people try to help her look for it but it couldn’t be found. They tried consoling her but she was inconsolable, her rosary had sentimental value, it was given to her by her late husband. it was then she had divine intervention. Still weeping, she heard a man’s voice saying  “ distraught woman whose heart is inclined to rosary and salvation, have this”

she raised her head to meet an outstretch hand with a white rosary, She was happy to have a new rosary she collected it and started examining the beautiful new white rosary, but when she rose her heard to thank the man, he was no where to be found, he had vanished, it was as if he had evaporated into thin air. It was then she concluded he must be a blessed Angel. Every body heard the story and so people visit her to have a share of blessing from the blessed rosary, the rosary that glows in the night. She soaks it in water and gave people the water to drink. Women who couldn’t conceive, sick people needing healing and other people with various demands went with their to water for a soak. She was never stingent when it comes to sharing her blessing. My mother went to her, with a rubber full of water, she soaked the rosary and brought it home for me. Every morning before breakfast I drank the blessed water.

It took only 3 days after taking the blessed water that my miracle came. Mudi’s uncle talked to Mudi’s father. The father can never say no to his big brother. This time, he says he will allow it, since it is the respected uncle that asks but the uncle will be in charge of everything. However, no celebration will be done in his house. The uncle agreed and asks for Allah’s blessings on his junior brother, He prayed that God should bestow upon his little brother dutiful offspring just as he has been dutiful to him. 

The day the Uncle was to come for the introduction, I was told to go to Shatus while the introduction was in progress. It is considered lack of manners on a girls part to remain in the house when it is being made. God knows I cannot vouch for my behaviour. if I stayed, I know I will obsess over the whole thing, I will peek and snoop and ask everybody about it. 

My heart beat was erratic. I was nervous, excited and ecstatic all at once. Adrenaline courses through my veins in high voltage.

Then, I became afraid, what if something went wrong? I paced around until I got tired, then I sat, as I sat I couldn’t hold it together anymore, tears overflow freely from my eyes, I was miserable. The thought of something going wrong was unbearable for me.I was so close to my destiny yet It felt so far, one mistake can ruin everything. Shatu decided she will go and see what was going on and report to me.
As I painfully waited, ma’u Shatu’s paternal aunt was watching me
I hadn’t noticed her, I was lost in my world.

She cleared her throat drawing my attention to her. She was standing and was about to leave when she saw me and changed her course.
What does she want? I wondered.
“Ladi love is relative, just be careful, it is not what you think it us.” Surprisingly, she sounded sincere. It felt like she was talking about herself in a way, like trying to warn her younger self.

" What is the worst that can happen?" I ask her, angered by her comment.

"He can break your heart, he is a man after all, or he may move to another new girl, men always love that bright shiny new toy" she said sadly

"You don't get it, if he breaks my heart, I will nurse it back to health and go back to him. It will just be an endless circle. I'm his bright shiny new toy right now, that is all that matter”I replied, hastily, eager to get her out of my way.
She is the least of my concern right now. I couldn’t care less about her warning. I know my Mudi, I know love, I know what it feels like to be in love. That is all that matters.

I looked back to all the hardwork i did before being rewarded with Mudi, he is my big break and this naive woman is warning me!? She dosnt even know what she is talking about. Yes! There were painful moments but there was no joy without pain. Now that i am almost his, my anxiety is killing me. I prayed i live to see my children with Mudi. It was then that these words made deepest meaning to me, the words my mother always say, that when things become toughest it means ease is near. I believe We are born to love and with all necessary courage to walk the path to it, no matter the roughness, no matter the hardship. I was born to love him, and I am so grateful for my luck. My days of hardship and heartache are over.

I Waited and waited, but Shatu never returned. Every creek I heard I rushed hoping it was Shatu. I was on the verge of a nervous break down when She finally decided to make an appearance. "So, what is happening? Did they come? How did it went?"
I attacked her with all these questions, I only stopped to catch my breath. I searched for any emotion in her eyes as I continued assaulting her with questions.

‘stop or I wont speak’ she said

“I’m sorry, please ease my pain, tell me it happened, tell me I will be Mudis bride, tell me its official.”

“ yes, it happened, it was not pleasant but it took place, it was quick, but it sure did happened. I will have to say you are not exactly your in-laws favourite. You are officially betrothed to Mudi Ladi!!!! ” she replies easing the ache in my heart.

I sighed a sigh of relief. My tears turned to those of joy. It is finally happening. I will be married soon. Not only will i be married, i will be married to the love of my life. How lucky i am. Life is truly kind to me.

“seriously, you are crying again!!!!what for?!you are something else.”

Finally I shall fulfil the Devine ordainment, my Devine duty to serve a husband. My mother always told me us, women were created for one thing, to serve men who will be their husband’s. That had stuck to my brain forever and I yearn to fulfil that Devine obligation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER ONE

Chapter 42: The Dilemma (A Weakness Called Love :Memoirs Of An African Housemaid )

A WEAKNESS CALLED LOVE: MEMOIRS OF AN AFRICAN HOUSEMAID